|ECDPM is a ‘think and do tank’. Our main goal today is to broker effective development partnerships between the EU and the Global South, particularly Africa. We combine solid knowledge on how to formulate effective development policies with practical expertise on how to implement them.
Our mission has two components:
(i) to strengthen the policy management capacity of institutions and other players in the countries of Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific and
(ii) to improve relations between the European Union and African, Caribbean and Pacific countries.
ECDPM’s mission and principles of engagement – established some 25 years ago – are still fundamentally relevant today:
- Our strong niche on EU-Africa and ACP-EU relations
- Our clear strategic focus on a limited set of key thematic
- Our proactive approach that anticipates major new trends in development and international relations
- Our non-partisanship
- Our dual role as an independent knowledge broker and
- Our extensive networks of key actors in Europe and in developing countries, particularly in Africa, the Caribbean
- Our focus on ‘making policies work’ by providing guidance to practitioners in development
We apply a combination of roles and methods to bridge policy and practice. ECDPM co-organises and facilitates policy dialogues, provides tailor-made analysis and advice, disseminates timely information on key policy processes, and participates in South-North networks.
A key thrust of our work involves engaging in strategic partnerships with institutions and networks in the developing world. Our goal in this is not only to contribute to a sound empirical base for policymaking, but also to ensure that there is sufficient institutional capacity for policy implementation and monitoring.
All of our activities emphasise political economy approaches. These ensure that our analysis and process facilitation fully recognise the underlying drivers of change, from the local to the global level.